The Institute of Mineral Processing “Mekhanobr” (the Russian abbreviation stands for “mechanical processing of minerals”) was established in February, 1920, by the teaching staff of the Department of ore-dressing of the St. Petersburg Mining Institute. The nucleus of the new Institute was formed by the team of designers headed by Professor G.O. Chechott, that team was officially registered in 1916.
The history of activity of the “Mekhanobr” Institute is marked by such milestones as:
1927-1932 – design and commissioning of the apatite-nepheline concentrating plant “ANOF-1” of the “Apatit” Production Amalgamation, the concentrating plants of the Balkhash and the Leninogorsk Mining Complexes, and a number of other large facilities.
1933-1940 – design, construction and commissioning of the ore-dressing facilities in the Urals, the Altai, the Caucasus, Kazakhstan, Siberia and the Far East.
1941-1945 – work in the besieged Leningrad for the defense of the city during the World War II, establishment of the complete-integrated-activities research and design institute “Ural Mekhanobr” in the city of Sverdlovsk (nowadays Ekaterinburg, the Urals region), operation of integrated design-and-technology-developing teams at ore-dressing and mining facilities of the country.
1946-1959 – establishment of the complete-integrated-activities research and design institute “Mekhanobrchermet” (“Mekhanobr-ferrous-metals”) in the city of Krivoi Rog; design, construction and commissioning of the concentrating plants of the Yuzhny, Novy Krivirozhsky and Azerbaijan Mining Complexes, the Norilsk concentrating plant, the Agarakskaya and Kadzharanskaya concentrating plants in Armenia, tens of ore-dressing and mining facilities in Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and also abroad.
The scientific-and-technical bulletin (nowadays journal) “Obogashcheniye rud” (“Ores Processing”) has been published regularly since March, 1956.
1958 – establishment of the complete-integrated-activities research and design institute “KazMekhanobr” in the city of Alma-Ata in Kazakhstan.
1960-1969 – design and construction of the “Pechenganickel”, Olenegorsky, Kovdorsky Mining Complexes, the apatite-nepheline concentrating plant “ANOF-2” of the “Apatit” Production Amalgamation in the Kola Peninsula, the Madneuli Mining Complex in Georgia, the Caucasus; the Poltavsky, Severny and Tsentralny Mining Complexes in Ukraine; the Mikhailovsky, Lebedinsky and Stoilensky Mining Complexes in the Kursk magnetic anomaly region; Dzhezkazgan and Zyryanovsky Mining Complexes in Kazakhstan; the Almalyk Mine-and-Mill Complex in Uzbekistan, and tens of ore-dressing and mining facilities in the USSR and abroad.
The VIII International Mineral Processing Congress was held at the “Mekhanobr” Institute in Leningrad in June of 1968, demonstrating the world recognition of the Institute’s leadership in the area of mineral processing.
1970-1990 – design and construction of the “new-generation” mining complexes: the Kostomuksha Mining Complex in Karelia and the Erdenet Mining Complex in Mongolia.
By the year of 1990, more than 250 ore-dressing and mining facilities built by the designs of the “Mekhanobr” Institute were operating in many countries. The concentrating and sintering plants of the former Soviet Union, built by the designs of the “Mekhanobr” Institute, treated over 70% of base metals ores, about 65% of ferrous metals ores and produced 70% of sinter for blast furnaces.
The Intersectorial scientific-and-technical complex “Mekhanobr” was established in 1986 with a view to implement large-scale tasks in the minerals processing sector.
The scientific-and-technical experience gained over 70 years at the USSR Research and Design Institute of Mineral Processing, decorated with the Order of the Red Banner, and at the Intersectorial scientific-and-technical complex “Mekhanobr” is now successfully employed by the “Mekhanobr Engineering” JSC that was established on the basis of Design and Research divisions of the “Mekhanobr” Institute in December of 1990.